When starting off in affiliate marketing it is very easy to get distracted and make common mistakes such as:
- Trying to promote too many merchants;
- throwing up a banner farm;
- putting up links that don’t relate to a sites content;
- promoting a product that you know nothing about;
- not focusing on a tight niche, and
- not giving visitors what they’re looking for.
If you’ve done any of these then you’re not alone. You can count yourself amongst the other 95% of other newbie affiliates who also make one or more of these mistakes.
You have to start off with making affiliate marketing easy and fun. It could be a few months, or maybe even a year, before you make your first dollar. So, if you work on something that isn’t giving you any fun, you won’t be working on it very long. You may get lucky and make $1,000 overnight, but you’re more likely not too unless you’re working closely with a mentor or professional of some form.
For your first affiliate program you need to choose a merchant’s program that
- You know something about;
- is fun for you to work on, and
- is easy for you to write about.
For example, one area that generally satisfies all of these should be your favorite hobby.
Once you know what program you are going to focus on, it becomes far easier to plan, manage and operate the program for however long it takes to get your first sale.
Table of Contents:
- Choose your focus
- Selecting your Keywords
- Selecting your merchants and affiliate programs
- Designing your site and developing content
- Promoting your site
- 10 ways to increase your affiliate site’s usability and search engine rankings
- Linking up with your merchants
- Use the Affiliate Manager
- How and Where to learn more about Affiliate Marketing
- Affiliate Tools